As the Chairman and Managing Director of Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd., Glenn Saldanha oversees the entire operations of the organization. In 1998, Glenn decided to give up a promising career in the US and return to India with an ambition to create something unique. Recognizing the enormous opportunity in the Indian Pharmaceutical Industry, he joined Glenmark and took over the operations as the CEO. During his tenure, Glenmark has been transformed into a truly global research-led organization with revenue of approximately USD 1.1 billion dollars and offices in more than 20 countries worldwide. Glenmark’s branded generics presence is spread across five regions viz. Asia including India, Europe, Africa, Latin America and RCIS. Glenmark has also established itself among the top 25 generics companies in the US and has built a sizeable API business in a short period.
Presently, over 70% of Glenmark’s total turnover comes from the overseas operations. During his tenure the biggest achievement for Glenmark has been its ability to discover best-in-class or first-in-class molecules for global development and unmet medical needs thus positioning Glenmark as a leader in drug discovery. Glenmark has managed to strike seven out licensing deals in innovative R&D with big pharmaceutical companies. Presently, Glenmark has a strong pipeline of seven molecules in various stages of clinical and preclinical stages, all having potential in the range of USD 1 to 3 billion, if successfully commissioned. Glenn’s vision is to discover, develop and take to market India’s first innovative drug for the entire world. Glenn holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Pharmacy from Mumbai University and holds an MBA from Leonard Stern School of Business, New York University.
Prior to Glenmark, he has worked with Eli Lily, USA and PricewaterhouseCoopers, USA. In 2014 he was conferred with Best CEO: Pharma & Healthcare (mid-sized companies’)’ by Business Today. Also in the same year he was among the ranking of ‘Top 50 CEOs in India’ by Entrepreneur Magazine. He was also conferred with the ‘Swiss Ambassador’s Award for Exceptional Innovation’ – Embassy of Switzerland in 2012 and was among the Top 30 Youth Icons of India’ 2012 by Hindustan Times.
- Bachelor Degree in Pharmacy from Mumbai University
- MBA from Leonard Stern School of Business, New York University
- Joined Eli Lilly’s global marketing team soon after graduation ·
- Last assignment with Pricewaterhouse Coopers USA ·
- As consultant at PWC he worked with Rhone Poulenc Rhorer, Bristol Myers Squibb, Astra Merck and Smith Kline Beecham
- ‘Best CEO: Pharma & Healthcare (mid-sized companies’)’ by Business Today 2014 ·
- ‘Top 50 CEOs in India’ by Entrepreneur Magazine in 2014 ·
- ‘Swiss Ambassador’s Award for Exceptional Innovation’ – Embassy of Switzerland, 2012 ·
- ‘Top 30 Youth Icons of India’ 2012 – Hindustan Times ·
- ‘Young Business Leader of the Year’ by UK Trade & Investment, 2009·
- India’s second most Valuable CEO – Business World, December 2008 ·
’21 leaders to watch out for in the 21st Century’ – Business Today, January 2008